Update - NDI is shipping!
I keep getting asked "should I upgrade to Advanced Edition?" Here are the top ten reasons why:
10) Hundreds of small improvements, tweaks and new features. All future feature releases will only be available in AE.
9) Audio improvements - New routing controls simplify setup and reduce chances of errors. Dante audio networking. Noise gates. Updated VU meters.
8) Built-in DataLink - update CG externally or even automatically from external data sources like RSS feeds, databases and web browsers.
7) New streaming encoder - Supports higher resolution, simpler configuration. Legacy modes are still available.
6) Auto color correction - Helps keep all your cameras color matching even when lighting conditions change.
5) More sophisticated macros - Run external macros, create multi-step macros (pause until cued) or even trigger macros automatically when certain switcher functions are used e.g. run a macro whenever a particular source is selected on the program bus.
4) More and better keyers - On the 460 and 860 you get 4 DSKs and 4 keyers in the M/Es. On the Mini and 410 you get a second keyer in the M/Es. Keyers now include boarder effects. M/Es now include Augmented reality. Load a graphic element into a virtual set using the M/E's key and "stick" it in place e.g. create a custom logo graphic and afix it to the front of the virtual desk so it will remain in place even if you zoom or pan the set. Set keyframes for position/scaling/rotation to create custom fly-ins and outs is coming in January.
3) Instant replay functionality - add clips (from any record stream) to the DDR with a single click with the ability to change camera angles after-the-fact. Real-time editing tool in the DDR so you can easily trim and split clips to create highlight reels.
2) M/E re-entry - The 460 and 860 gain re-entrant M/Es, in other words you can now use one M/E as one of the sources in a another to create complex multi-layer FX.
1) Advanced IP workflow (NDI) Is here! - Send and receive real-time low, latency video over IP, expands the number of sources and outputs on the TriCaster. Hundreds of manufacturers on board for industry wide support.
As you can see the answer to the original question is "Yes, you should definitely get Advanced Edition".
Advanced Edition is available for TriCaster Mini, 410, 460, 860 and 8000. Most TriCaster 455 and 855 models can be upgraded to x60 and then to AE. Call us at 1-800-692-6442 for details.
Serving Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky and Michigan
Friday, December 18, 2015
Update - NDI is shipping!
Tuesday, December 8, 2015
YouTube Streaming From the TriCaster (as of Dec 1, 2015)
Update your TC to the latest build.
Use Internet Explorer from the Windows desktop, some of the steps won't work from the integrated TC browser.
Check that your YouTube account is in good standing:
- Go to http://YouTube.com
- Click the icon in the upper right (It will be your YouTube avatar)
- Click the 'Gear' icon
- Click 'View Additional Features'
- Check account status and that 'Live Streaming' is enabled
- Select 'Live Streaming' from the menu on the left to go to the YouTube channel page
- Click on 'Events' to go to the live event page
- Click 'New Live Event'
- Name Event, load image etc.
- Click 'Create Event'
- Select a bit rate, TriCaster standard edition can do up to 720p
- Select Flash Media Encoder
- Download XML 'Profile (primary)'
- On the TriCaster go to c:\TriCaster\Configuration\Streaming
- Note that the above path may be different on some TriCasters
- Open the Profile you intend to use with notepad (TC40 users
will need to move this file to another computer for editing)
- On line 38 change the keyframe frequency from 3 seconds to 2
seconds (again may be different line in older TCs)
- 'Save As' the file with a name such as YouTube 720 2048k
- Go to the Streaming Config (gear icon on Stream button)
- Type http://youtube.com in the URL field and press return
- This will take you to the main YouTube page, click the icon in the upper right (your avatar)
- Select 'Live Streaming' from the menu on the left to go to the YouTube channel page
- Click on 'Events' to go to your live event page
- On the TC stream panel pull down select 'Create Connection From Current URL'
- Name the connection YouTube Live or what ever you like
- Select a resolution and data rate that fits within the data rate you selected in the settings section
- Click Import settings and select the XML file we saved previously (it should be in 'Downloads')
- Put your YouTube username and password in the proper fields
- Click the Stream button on the main TC user interface
- Go back to the streaming config panel
- On the YouTube page click the 'Live Control Room' tab
- Here you can preview your stream and actually make it public etc.
Tuesday, November 3, 2015
Tuesday, September 22, 2015
You know those annoying squeezes they do to the credit rolls in movies on TV so they can show previews of the next program. Well here's how to do them yourself with a TriCaster:
This works on current Proline TriCasters using an M/E with or without Advanced Edition. You can do something similar on older TriCasters (450/455 etc.) using a DSK but it's not as flexible and you don't have macros.
- In an M/E (in Mix mode) load one of the DVEs from the 'Expand' folder.
- Select your two sources on the 'A' and 'B' buses in the M/E.
- Assign the T-Bar to the M/E using the 'ME' button in the lower right hand corner of the controller. On the Mini use the 'Switcher Delegate' on the CS for this.
- Put the DVE in reverse mode by pushing the 'Select' knob down on the controller.
- Pull the T-Bar smoothly half way down.
- See the 'A' source squeeze as per the selected DVE revealing the 'B' source.
- Record this as a macro for ease of use.
Tuesday, April 14, 2015
The other big announcement was the 3Play Mini
Now for under $10,000 you can get real four channel replay along with some cool switcher functions, social media integration.
To keep costs down the 3PMini is designed to be controlled from any mobile device like an iPad or Android tablet using a simple browser based interface.Optionally you can get a 3Play 440 controller.
Like the TriCaster Mini the 3Play Mini is HDMI only I'll take a look at HDMI splitter options in a future post.
Check out more details at NewTek's site.
The Advanced Edition can be purchased with a new TriCaster or added after the fact to existing TriCasters for $1495 and it's shipping now.
Some of my favorites among the new capabilities are:
- Audio noise gate (I'm an old audio guy so what do you expect).
- Datalink integration so you can, among other things, have CG pages automatically update.
- Macro triggering. Macros can be automatically triggered by certain events like playing the DDR or other switcher actions.
- Transitions between clips in the DDR. You used to be able to do this in the old VT so it's nice to see it finally make it to the TriCaster.
- Blue gun mode and display calibration so you can finally get those computer monitors to display correct colors.
- Button lock out. Disable unused switcher buttons so when you fat-finger the controller you don't accidentally get a blank input.
- Built-in Instant replay functions.
This is at least as big an upgrade as the x55 to x60 update was. It's got some truly mind boggling features that are going to take me a while to digest. But it's cool that if you don't need all these advanced functions you don't have to pay for them. We sell plenty of TriCasters to people who just need a basic switcher and all these options just might make the interface a little too confusing and the price a little too high.
Owners of original TriCaster 855 and 455 are being offered a special deal for an upgrade to 460/860 Advanced Edition for less than the price of the x60 upgrade alone. And for a limited time all new TC8000 are coming with a free upgrade to Advanced Edition.
Give us a call at 800-692-6442 to place an order or for more details on the specials.
Here's a quick run down of all the new features:
- Dante Audio Networking: Expand integration and IP workflow possibilities with audio input over the network from devices that use the Dante networking protocol from Audinate.
- Audio Output Configuration: Dedicate output of Master and Aux audio mixes from TriCaster’s built-in audio mixer directly to external audio gear. With this revised configuration, Master and Aux are supplied to the first two analog output groups, respectively.
- Audio Recording Options: Capture your configurable sound source for ISO recordings with per-channel audio signal selection.
- Default Media File Level: Reduce time spent on individually configuring audio levels for non-native clips and sound files, and instead assign a preset level to all files added to media players.
- Noise Gate: Manage audio signals with greater precision using new noise gate settings in the audio mixer to exclude low-level sounds.
- VU Meters: Achieve higher-quality sound by determining audio clipping more easily and accurately with an updated VU meter interface.
- DataLink Integration: Use real-time data from internal and external sources in your live program without adding dedicated data input software. Built-in DataLink maps your selected data source to titles, comments, file names, and other fields in graphics templates, and updates their corresponding content instantly—automatically or on-demand—ensuring you have the most current and accurate information.
- DataLink File Watcher: Save time converting detailed information like sports statistics and sales data into graphics. With DataLink and a CSV, XML or ASCII file, you can transform raw spreadsheet data into production-ready title pages that can be edited and updated in real time.
- Multi-Step Macros: When timing is everything but anything can happen, take control by creating automated sequences using macro commands with expert pacing and built-in pauses that wait for your (live) cue to resume.
- Macro Triggering: Gain additional flexibility for activating automated macro sequences with new triggers that include audio level changes, media playback, and specific switcher actions, and the ability to assign multiple triggers for the same macro.
- Playlist Effects: Produce more engaging playlist sequences from your on-board media by adding transitions between playlist media—and even combining real-time, slow-mo, and fast-mo with per-clip playback speed settings.
- Real-Time Clip Editing: Speed up turnaround of raw recordings and video files for DDR playback with easy, built-in clip splitting and trimming tools.
- Display Outputs: Choose from more video signal selections to monitor, display, or project using the supplemental display ports—and customize every screen in your setup to your workflow.
- Blue Only Option: Calibrate video signals with greater flexibility and accuracy with a Blue Only viewport overlay compatible with any monitor.
- Monitor Proc Amps: Compensate for environmental lighting conditions and external display settings with configurable color settings for the User Interface, Multiview, and display ports.
- Multiview Scopes: Eliminate the squint factor and calibrate video signals with greater precision using large waveform and vectorscope displays on Multiview.
- SDI Auto-Detect: Save time during SDI system setup with automatic detection of resolution and frame rate for most SDI cameras.
- IP Network Tally: Reduce on-air mistakes with visual indication of on-air status supplied over the network to compatible systems that are sending output to TriCaster network inputs.
- Metadata: Attach comments to sources, clips, and images to simplify and sophisticate your workflow at the same time. DataLink uses comments as internal data sources to feed titles, label published content, enter metadata, and more.
- UI Enhancements: Work more efficiently and keep a closer eye on the show with new visual indicators, updated shortcuts and control tools, hover tooltips, and other on-screen improvements.
- Button Lock: Protect your live program from accidents or mistakes by locking control surface buttons to their current state.
- Session Recordings: Locate and verify active and completed recordings more quickly with a dedicated Session Recordings browser folder.
- Publish Target Expansion: Maximize productivity and reach more friends, fans, and followers with the ability to publish media to multiple user accounts on the same social network simultaneously. Plus, publish content to the world’s largest professional network - LinkedIn.
- Flex Media Publishing: Publish more files to more places in more formats using an upgraded publishing workflow that also supports file import, export, and transcoding right from the Publish queue.
- Alpha Grabs: Grab stills of keyed visuals - complete with transparency - for publishing or post-production use.
- In-Show Replay Controls: Turn everyday productions into drama relived, without adding extra hardware or crew. Capture and replay highlights of the live show, with on-screen controls and other replay elements, including intro and outro transitions, clip speed and duration, and auto-playback action.
- Change Angle: Be ready for near-instant turnaround time between capture and playback of the best view of the action by changing the angle of ISO-recorded clips directly from the DDR.
- Enhanced Live Streams: Simplify your webcast workflow with easier setup and new one-click presets (now including settings for Microsoft Azure, Twitch.tv and YouTube Live), and upgrade your online presence with higher-quality live streaming video.
- Multi-Platform Live Streaming: Double your potential audience without adding a new encoder, reach more viewers and attract different audiences by live streaming to multiple platforms and services simultaneously.
- Router Support: Expand camera coverage with any TriCaster Pro Line model (and even TriCaster Mini) by connecting to a compatible upstream video router, then selecting and switching between router sources directly from the TriCaster Advanced Edition User Interface.
- Undo/Redo: Skip the manic troubleshooting and backtracking by handling unwanted changes or unintended results instantly with undo and redo commands.
- Effect View: Double-check every frame of your next sequence before it goes to air with Effect View. This enhanced preview mode—exclusive to TriCaster 8000—lets you screen everything your audience will see from start to finish in real time so that it appears exactly how you want it.
- Second KEY Layer: Produce more sophisticated visuals with TriCaster 860, 460, 410, and Mini—each M/E now includes a second KEY layer to apply titles, graphics, and video overlays.
- Auto Color: Reduce manual effort in correcting for variable lighting conditions and camera settings (especially at outdoor events that would often require a dedicated shading station) with automatic color matching between video inputs.
- Border Effects: Minimize the “canned” look. Create and customize on-screen elements and boost your production value with more detailed compositions, sophisticated visuals, and custom multi-box effects by adding borders and shadows to video layers.
- Buffers: Upgrade your presentation without sacrificing the DDRs with access to and playback of stored animations, motion graphics, and looping clips with animation buffers. Available in all TriCaster Pro Line models.
- Augmented Reality KEY Layers: Add another dimension to virtual set scenes with augmented KEY layers that track along with LiveSet zoom and pan movements—making them appear as an integral part of the set, instead of just overlays.
- Creativity Extras: With support for formats like JPEG-XR, JPEG2000, and WebP, accept even more image files without conversion; compose shots and sequences using new additive and non-additive fade transitions; configure LiveMatte visuals using a new Lumakey setting; and easily incorporate explanations, descriptions, quotes, and more with title pages that support paragraph text.
- Image Processing: Present even more polished visuals with
- DataLink Web: Use any text or image from the Web as content in your live production without complicated integration. Simply run the included plugin for Google Chrome on any external computer, and use DataLink to send data, photos, social media posts, and more across the network to instantly populate or update the designated title or graphic in TriCaster.
- TriCaster Home Page: Access IP management tools such as DataLink Web utilities, updates, downloads, documentation, tutorials, customer service, and more from a system-specific TriCaster Home Page accessible from your phone, tablet, or laptop – any supported device on the same network.